28 April, 2009

Two steps forward...

All we wanted was a flowering cherry tree in the front corner of our yard. Was that too much to ask? I'll just dig a nice little hole for it to live in.

Not more than an inch under the surface my shovel comes to a complete halt. Clang! What the hell??? Apparently this entire corner of our yard is made of fill. Large chunks of old asphalt to be exact. Half an hour later I have scratched out a shallow depression. And I do mean to use the word depression. I stopped for the night, dejected and having NO idea what the heck I was gonna do.

Today I went back into it with new fury. Aided by an eight foot steel pole filled with dirt weighing in at a cool 40 lbs. I cut, pounded, chiseled and scraped my way into a two foot deep hole about 3 feet in diameter. My arms are toast! I will get back into again tomorrow and see if I cant get through the la brea tar pit layer down to some real dirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment